When an old man died in the geriatric ward of a nursing home in an Australian country town, it was believed that he had nothing left of any value.
Later, when the nurses were going through his meagre possessions, They found this poem. Its quality and content so impressed the staff that copies were made and distributed to every nurse in the hospital.
One nurse took her copy to Melbourne. The old man’s sole bequest to posterity has since appeared in the Christmas editions of magazines around the country and appearing in mags for Mental Health. A slide presentation has also been made based on his simple, but eloquent, poem.
And this old man, with nothing left to give to the world, is now the author of this ‘anonymous’ poem winging across the Internet.
Cranky Old Man
What do you see nurses? ……What do you see?
What are you thinking .. . when you’re looking at me?
A cranky old man, … …not very wise,
Uncertain of habit .… … . .. with faraway eyes?
Who dribbles his food .. . … . . and makes no reply.
When you say in a loud voice . .’I do wish you’d try!’
Who seems not to notice …the things that you do.
And forever is losing … …… A sock or shoe?
Who, resisting or not … … lets you do as you will,
With bathing and feeding … .The long day to fill?
Is that what you’re thinking?. .Is that what you see?
Then open your eyes, nurse .you’re not looking at me.
I’ll tell you who I am … . .. As I sit here so still,
As I do at your bidding, .… . as I eat at your will.
I’m a small child of Ten . .with a father and mother,
Brothers and sisters .… .. . who love one another
A young boy of Sixteen … .. with wings on his feet
Dreaming that soon now …… a lover he’ll meet.
A groom soon at Twenty … ..my heart gives a leap.
Remembering, the vows .. .. .that I promised to keep.
At Twenty-Five, now … . .I have young of my own.
Who need me to guide … And a secure happy home.
A man of Thirty . .… . . My young now grown fast,
Bound to each other …. With ties that should last.
At Forty, my young sons .. .have grown and are gone,
But my woman is beside me . . to see I don’t mourn.
At Fifty, once more, .. …Babies play ‘round my knee,
Again, we know children … . My loved one and me.
Dark days are upon me … . My wife is now dead.
I look at the future … … . I shudder with dread.
For my young are all rearing .… young of their own.
And I think of the years … And the love that I’ve known.
I’m now an old man … … .. and nature is cruel.
It’s jest to make old age … … . look like a fool.
The body, it crumbles .. .. . grace and vigour, depart.
There is now a stone … where I once had a heart.
But inside this old carcass . A young man still dwells,
And now and again … . . my battered heart swells
I remember the joys … . .. . I remember the pain.
And I’m loving and living … … . life over again.
I think of the years, all too few …. gone too fast.
And accept the stark fact … that nothing can last.
So open your eyes, people .… . .… open and see.
Not a cranky old man .
Look closer … . see .. .…. …. . ME!!
Remember this poem when you next meet an older person who you might brush aside without looking at the young soul within. We will all, one day, be there, too!
PLEASE SHARE THIS POEM!
The best and most beautiful things of this world can’t be seen or touched. They must be felt by the heart!
www.breathinggift.com (My free book and video gift to you.)
- eidis likes this
- dashadashelle likes this
- andrewff reblogged this from kraabel and added:
- no1companion reblogged this from kraabel
- asmotto78 likes this
- myownwalkabout reblogged this from mymindmyworldmyrules
- moldavie likes this
- lookidontevenknow likes this
- dewy-dewdrops reblogged this from snowcladpines
- snowcladpines reblogged this from indooi
- indooi reblogged this from whitewolf121
- love-lesthetique reblogged this from kraabel and added:
- iambthewalrus likes this
- auntiemaim likes this
- androgynedream reblogged this from miyakih
- androgynedream likes this
- miyakih reblogged this from fancitaste
- a-la-m0rt likes this
- jeansblau reblogged this from whitewolf121
- omgparticle likes this
- mfkopp likes this
- tits-tats-n-tutus likes this
- piperi-gemista reblogged this from whitewolf121
- piperi-gemista likes this
- suzilight likes this
- senseforever reblogged this from whitewolf121
- englishlion reblogged this from mymindmyworldmyrules
- whitewolf121 reblogged this from mymindmyworldmyrules
- whitewolf121 likes this
- 1sherlock likes this
- the-smiling-wolf likes this
- mymindmyworldmyrules reblogged this from boundersmom
- mymindmyworldmyrules likes this
- boundersmom reblogged this from tschewe and added:
- mspinossa reblogged this from kraabel
- thebittersweetdreamss reblogged this from surfergirl14
- whybeapolarparadox reblogged this from ariaoftheplantes
- whybeapolarparadox likes this
- im-a-velociraptor reblogged this from prince-moriarty
- ariaoftheplantes reblogged this from prince-moriarty
- ariaoftheplantes likes this
- prince-moriarty reblogged this from kraabel
- prince-moriarty likes this
- surfergirl14 reblogged this from fancitaste
- gabbyfealx0 reblogged this from kraabel
- desertblu reblogged this from fancitaste
- desertblu likes this
- a-beautiful-offering likes this
- miyakih likes this